Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why I'm Participating in the 5th Annual Seattle Brain Cancer Walk



This year I will be participating in the 5th Annual Seattle Brain Cancer Walk, to benefit Pacific Northwest-based brain cancer research institutions working to find a cure. I also walked in it for the first time last year, and was able to raise over $1,000.00 for the cause. It is very exciting to be a part of this event, but in order for me to be successful I need the support of my friends and family to help me reach my goals.

Many of you may know that my younger sister, Catherine Halloran, was diagnosed with a very large malignant oligodendroglioma tumor in her frontal lobe in March of 2011. Only 2/3 of it was surgically removed, the rest of the tumor was inoperable. She has also suffered irreversible brain damage as a result of this large tumor enmeshing itself with her brain tumor. She underwent radiation therapy earlier this year, and is still struggling with some side effects of the medications she is on. There were also some new growths that could be seen on her latest MRI, we are awaiting further testing to find out what these are. The original tumor is not showing any new growth, so that is hopeful. Her disease is incurable, but through increased awareness and funding, hopefully someday nobody else will ever have to go through what she and our family have experienced.

Within the next 12 months, more than 22,000 people in the United States will be diagnosed with a primary or metastatic brain tumor. Brain tumors are the leading cause of cancer deaths among children and young adults, yet the research is desperately under-funded. My participation in the Seattle Brain Cancer Walk will not only be providing important financial support to crucial research, but will also help bring much needed public awareness to this horrible disease.

In the spirit of community support and in an effort to fund the most promising research possible, theproceeds from the event will be directed to Pacific Northwest-based brain cancer research projects and collaborations.

My personal fundraising goal is $1,000.00, and I am confident that I will reach it, but I know I can’t do it without your help! No donation is too big or too small, and I appreciate any support you can offer. Anyone is welcome to support my efforts, so please feel free the spread the word to your family and friends. The more people we can involve, the more money can be raised to fund vital research going on in the Pacific Northwest.

If you would like to donate online visit www.braincancerwalk.org and click the “Participant Search” button to find my participant fundraising page. If you would prefer to send your donation by mail please visit the Seattle Brain Cancer Walk website and click the “Donate” button to access the Mail-In Donation Form and follow the instructions contained in the document.

My personal fundraising page is here, and my team is called The Frontal Lopers:

Thank you in advance for your support! Your gift will make a real difference in our fight against brain cancer.

Sincerely,

Helen H.

NOTE: All donations to the Seattle Brain Cancer Walk are tax-deductible.

No comments: